Friday, August 12, 2005

Painting the Town Red

On Tuesday (9th August) night, I went to the Business Roundtable's 2005 Sir Ron Trotter lecture. The event, held at Te Papa, was very flash and it was the first time I had worn a suit since the accident. I was using my walking stick to get around and, apparently, if I twirled it and put on a top hat I would have looked something like Fred Astaire.

The evening passed pretty much ok except near the start I had a drink of orange juice in my hand when someone lightly bumped in to me. Before the accident it wouldn't have mattered, but this time I managed to spill quite a bit of orange juice. Not the safest pair of hands now, I guess.

The lecture itself was good. It was given by a US academic economist, Tyler Cowen, and was on globalisation and culture. I found I needed to make more of a conscious effort to concentrate during some parts of the speech. For instance, I found that I couldn't remember what the question was that was asked as Prof. Cowen answered it.

My concentration also cropped up as an issue at other times. At one stage, a man on one side of me was talking to a man seated two away on the other side of me. While the man seated two away from me was speaking I thought there was no way the other bloke could have heard, given he was further away than me. I must have been concentrating less, though, than the other bloke, because he answered straight away without clarification.

All in all, I enjoyed the lecture, though, and my fatigue allowed me to stay on a bit afterwards. Who would have thought an economics lecture could be so exciting?

Cheers,
Mike

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff mike, i agree, flammin blog mongrels. Anyway, sounds like you're progressing along quite nicely, even if your recovery involves listening to speeches on globalisation! (Sorry, G8, Geldof, terrorists, confusing the heck out of me at the mo!) Btw, thanks for the link to the brain game, i'm not as dumb as i thought (no need for any smart comments young man!)

Things are great over here, will send you an update soon (will have some cycling adventures to report on!)

Later bol

Raj

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,

Great to get the latest updates and very nice pic on the beach!! Nice to hear your out on the town again... any pics of you in the suit?? Good stuff with being back on the bike.. you´ll have to get the wind trainer set up so you can do some spinning classes.

Sloppy hugs and kisses,
K and P

Anonymous said...

hey mike,
keep up the great progress!ur walking sounds like its improved heaps!!i did the brain test thing and well, i got over 130 first time....hehe
take care,
rach broadmore

Anonymous said...

no doubt Lee's never been more excited about an Economics gig!! Still avidly following your progress. Love to all
the Pomeroys

Anonymous said...

HI Mike,

Constantly impressed by your steps forward! Won't be long before you will be giving those Roundtable lectures yourself!!! Love reading your updates. Keep up the good work.

Ben Blundell

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Mike, think some of those symptoms are pretty common. Just yesterday I was sitting at my desk concentrating on something, and really enjoying whatever it was. My colleague had been talking to me for about 2 minutes. Didn't catch a single word.

Have a successful week
Tim McD

Anonymous said...

Mike, good to read youre out on the town. Hope you enjoy the visit with Amanda and Kent. We have had a great time with them.Keep up the great work with rehab.

Marg

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I experienced the same concentration problems in Dr Clarkes econ lectures at Canterbury!

Great to hear your back into the swing of things Mike. Keep it up.

cheers
scotty (all the way from across the ditch)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike

It is great to hear that you are doing so well! I am glad you managed to keep the concentration levels up at the lecture, I would have been out to it in minutes!!!
Your speedy recovery constantly amazes me. This blog is fab - to be able to catch up with what you are doing while I am on the other side of the world is great!! Although admittedly I am not looking forward to a London winter.

Keep up the excellent progress and then you can escape the Hutt and head back into Welly.

Angela Morrison